Logistex has successfully completed major enhancements to an existing order fulfilment system at the Arco NDC in Hull. The project was completed within the agreed time frame and without any significant disruption to the Arco day to day NDC operations. Arco are the UK’s leading supplier of personal protective equipment, work wear, and safety products.
The enhancements to the existing Logistex materials handling system provide an increase in the site daily throughput capactiy and increase in operator efficiency resulting in a 30% growth potential from today’s capacity.
- New mezzanine floor built over the existing packing area to support a new packing area
- 18 new packing stations with integrated conveyors
- New bypass conveyor links to create ‘Shortcut routes’ for totes, minimising order processing times and conveyor loading
- Additional automatic order consolidation buffers (50% increase over existing)
- Conveyor ‘SCADA’ type visualisation system to monitor the additional equipment and maintain high levels of uptime
- More efficient packing process
- Implemented within a live environment
- Planning ensured minimal disruption to operation
- 30% increase in site throughput potential
The Client’s brief
Arco’s award winning distribution centre is a landmark in Hull with 27,796sqm of storage space. It holds almost 22,000 products in stock and operates 24 hours a day, 5 days a week shipping over 20,000 picks per day. Arco approached Logistex to develop a list of enhancements in order to increase the throughput capacity of a system that was approaching its limit within a confined space.
Arco’s Divisional Director for Logistics, Neil Griffiths, summed up the company’s verdict on the project. “Our core objectives – improved reliability and increased capacity, with no disruption to the live operation – have been successfully achieved, with a 30% uplift in potential capacity. There’s a lot more flexibility built into the system so we can more easily cope with any downtime. We are currently completing around 17,000 picks and shipping 8,000 parcels and pallets per day.”
The Logistex Solution
The solution, designed to increase throughput capacity and efficiency of the operation, includes a new packing station design with integrated conveyors.
The NDC is run by Logistex Warehouse Management and Warehouse Control Software, therefore Arco has access to 24/7 systems support. Modifications were also made to the WMS in order to improve and automate the sequence of work and control of workflow.
Logistex and Arco worked in partnership to deliver the project into the live working environment, enabling Arco to operate the NDC as normal whilst the enhancements were installed and commissioned.